WHO WE ARE
Change Agent Network is a 501 c (3) nonprofit organization which goal is the transformation of the entire nation of Liberia through Education, Sustainable Development and the Hope of the Gospel.
To connect under-resourced Liberian Communities with Global Partners to launch locally sustainable schools to break the cycle of poverty in Liberia.
A new Liberia free of physical, mental, relational and spiritual poverty.
Our Brief History
During the Liberian civil war in 1990, Eric was captured as a child by rebels, and was then beaten, tortured and left to die. Miraculously, he escaped and spent 14 years living in 11 different refugee camps. In 2002, around age 23, Eric was given a computer by a friend of his. He learned how to use the computer and began training other refugees from all over the continent of Africa. Eric has impacted the lives of many across the world and has established Change Agent Network from the origins of that one single desktop computer. In 2006, the U.S. Government, through a refugee resettlement program, brought Eric to America.
We have successfully built 14 schools on 3 campuses and more campuses are currently under construction in 2 other Liberian counties. Within the past 7 years, Change Agent Network has graduated more than 1,400 students, many of which have become meaningful contributors to their community. One such student is Jerolimic Piah, the current Liberian Presidential Press Secretary.
THE NATIONAL IMPACT OF OUR WORK IN LIBERIA
OUR SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT MODEL
CAN provides the expertise in training the locals to build, operate and financially sustain their own school.
Global partners or friends of Liberia make a one-time high impact donation to purchase building materials and startup capital to launch the school.
The local community donates the school land, volunteer their time and services to build, oversee and locally sustain their own school.
OUR SELF-SUFFICIENCY SCHOOL MODEL
The school is self-sustained through our daily low cost school fess payment plan. This plan uses a car issued to every student and parent to track daily educational costs. The vast majority of parents and students live on a day-to-day basis, this gives them a simplified, easy and durable flat rate payment plan. The payment card creates 100% transparency and accountability between the school administration, parents, guardians and students.
STAGGERING STATISTICS OF LIBERIA
· LOWEST SCHOOL ENROLLMENT RATE IN THE WORLD.
· FOURTH POOREST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.
· 85% UNEMPLOYMENT RATE.
· 84% POVERTY RATIO.
· $100/MONTH MINIMUM WAGE.
· 60% ILLITERACY RATE.
· 41% OF POPULATION UNDER AGE 14TH.
· AVERAGE SCHOOL YEARS FOR ADULTS, 3 YEARS.
· 3/4 LIBERIANS LIVE BELOW POVERTY LINE, $1.00 A DAY.
OUR Plan to Transform Liberia Through Education by 2025.
- GOD FIRST: Proverbs 3:6 says, “In everything you do, put God first, and He will direct you and crown your efforts with success”
- STRONG WORK ETHIC: Encourage and reward poor people who are able and are willing to work very hard to break the back of poverty. We strongly believe that the medicine for poverty is hard work.
- EMPOWERMENT: Giving the poor the opportunity to solve their own problems, help others become useful and productive people. Each person to take initiatives and make decisions to improve services and performance, determine their own destiny and the future of their children and country.
- SELF- SUFFICIENCY: To ultimately use local resources to sustain our programs for the poor in Liberia by providing and putting into place Agricultural businesses, goods and services to generate enough funds to cover reoccurring operating cost and maintenance of infrastructures.
- SELFLESSNESS: To humbly serve the poor above self interest and ambitions.
- INTEGRITY: To be genuine and trustworthy in our work and services to humanity.
- EXCELLENCE: To serve the needy with excellence in everything we do.
- GOOD STEWARDSHIP: To be faithful stewards of the resources God and other people have entrusted into our hands.
- COMMUNITY: To establish a culture of share values, purpose, mission and vision.
- RELATIONSHIP: To build a relational organization.