WHO WE ARE
Change Agent Network is a registered 501 c (3) nonprofit organization which goal is to transform the entire nation of Liberia through Education, Sustainable Development and the Hope of the Gospel.
To connect under-resourced Liberian Communities with Global Partners to launch locally sustainable schools to break the cycle of poverty in Liberia.
A New and Better Liberia that is Free of Corruption, Physical, Mental, Relational and Spiritual Poverty.
Our Brief History
During the Liberian civil war in 1990, Eric was captured as a child by rebels, and was then beaten, tortured and left to die. Miraculously, he escaped and spent 14 years living in 11 different refugee camps. In 2002, around age 23, Eric was given a computer by a friend of his. He learned how to use the computer and began training other refugees from all over the continent of Africa. Eric has impacted the lives of many across the world and has established Change Agent Network from the origins of that one single desktop computer. In 2006, the U.S. Government, through a refugee resettlement program, brought Eric to America.
IMPACT OF OUR WORK IN LIBERIA
We have successfully built 14 schools in 6 counties of Liberia. We are presently educating over 3,000 underserved children in Liberia. There are 200 employees on payroll nationwide. Within the past 7 years, Change Agent Network has graduated more than 1,400 students, many of which have become meaningful contributors to society. One such student is Jerolimic Piah, the current Liberian Presidential Press Secretary.
HOW OUR SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT MODEL WORKS
CAN provides the expertise in training the locals to build, operate and financially sustain their own school using local resources.
Global partners or friends of Liberia make a one-time high impact donation to purchase building materials and startup capital to launch the school.
The local community donates the school land, volunteer their time and services to build, oversee and locally sustain their own school.
OUR SELF-SUFFICIENCY SCHOOL MODEL
The school is self-sustained through our daily low cost school fees payment plan. This plan uses a system in which a card is issued to every student and parent to track semester educational cost broken down into daily cost based upon economic prospects of the school environment . The vast majority of parents and students live on a day-to-day basis, this gives them a simplified, easy and durable daily flat rate payment plan. The payment card creates 100% transparency and accountability between the school administration, parents, guardians and students.
"Using local resources to sustain education in Liberia”
At each of our school in Liberia, we enable parents and students who don’t have physical cash to pay school fees to do so by using local resources readily available to them i.e. Livestock and Cash Crops. (The New Educational Barter System for Liberia)
The items collected from parents and students are converted into cash and used for operating the school. We also sell some of these items to our employees on a salary deduction basis and the public as well as raise some of the livestock for business reproduction purposes.
STAGGERING STATISTICS OF LIBERIA
· LOWEST SCHOOL ENROLLMENT RATE IN THE WORLD.
· SECOND POOREST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.
· 85% UNEMPLOYMENT RATE.
· 84% POVERTY RATIO.
· $100/MONTH MINIMUM WAGE.
· 60% ILLITERACY RATE.
· 41% OF POPULATION UNDER AGE 14TH.
· AVERAGE SCHOOL YEARS FOR ADULTS, 3 YEARS.
· 3/4 LIBERIANS LIVE BELOW POVERTY LINE, $1.00 A DAY.
OUR Plan to Transform Liberia Through Education by 2025.
- GOD FIRST: Proverbs 3:6 says, “In everything you do, put God first, and He will direct you and crown your efforts with success”
- STRONG WORK ETHIC: Encourage and reward people living in poverty who are able and are willing to work very hard to break the back of poverty. We strongly believe that the medicine for poverty is hard work.
- EMPOWERMENT: Giving the struggling Liberian people the opportunity to solve their own problems, help others become useful and productive people. Each person to take initiatives and make decisions to improve services and performance, determine their own destiny and the future of their children and country.
- SELF- SUFFICIENCY: To ultimately use local resources to sustain our programs for underserved people in Liberia by providing and putting into place Agricultural businesses, goods and services to generate enough funds to cover reoccurring operating cost and maintenance of infrastructures.
- SELFLESSNESS: To humbly serve the needy above self - interest and ambitions.
- INTEGRITY: To be genuine and trustworthy in our work and services to humanity.
- EXCELLENCE: To serve the less-privileged with excellence in everything we do.
- GOOD STEWARDSHIP: To be faithful stewards of the resources God and other people have entrusted into our hands.
- COMMUNITY: To establish a culture of shared values, purpose, mission and vision.
- RELATIONSHIP: To build a relational organization.
CHANGE AGENT NETWORK'S STATEMENT OF FAITH
We the members of the Change Agent Network mission – trustees, staff, instructors at Change Agent Network’s schools and volunteers – join together in our affirmation of the following articles and our central purpose of proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ and introducing those we served everywhere to Jesus Christ and helping them grow in their faith.
The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, being given by divine inspiration, are the Word of God, the final and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
In the Scriptures, God reveals Himself as the living and true God, Creator of all things. Perfect in love and righteous in all His ways, this one God exists eternally as a Trinity of persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
God made man and woman in His image that He might have fellowship with us. Being estranged from God by our disobedience, we are, as sinful people, incapable of a right relationship to God apart from divine grace.
The only Mediator between God and all human beings is Jesus Christ our Lord, God’s eternal Son, who as man fully shared and fulfilled our humanity in a life of perfect obedience.
By His death in our place, Jesus revealed the divine love and upheld divine justice, removing our guilt and reconciling us to God. Having risen bodily from the dead and ascended into heaven, He rules as Lord over all and intercedes for us as our Great High Priest.
The Holy Spirit, through the proclamation of the Gospel, renews our hearts, persuading us to repent of our sins and confess Jesus as Lord. By the same Spirit we are led to trust in divine mercy, whereby we are forgiven all our sins, justified by faith through the merit of Christ our Savior, adopted into God’s family as His children and enabled so to live in the world that all people may see our good works and the Gospel of grace at work in our lives and glorify our Father who is in heaven.
God, by His Word and Spirit, calls us as sinful people into the fellowship of Christ’s body. Thus He creates the one holy, catholic and apostolic church, united in the bonds of love, endowed with the gifts of the Spirit and summoned by Christ to preach the Gospel and to administer the sacraments, to carry on the ministry of reconciliation, to relieve human need and to strive for social justice.
God’s redemptive purpose will be consummated by the return of Christ to raise the dead, judge all people and establish His glorious kingdom. Those who are apart from Christ shall be eternally separated from God’s presence, but the redeemed shall live and reign with Him forever.